MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
branches78 Offline
#1 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 3:21:20 PM(UTC)
branches78

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Android started to support FLAC decoding since version 3.1, so all today's smartphones have native FLAC support, some are capable of playing hi-res songs and the ones who don't just downscale the song to 44.1/16 while it's playing, so what's the point?.

Why would I select any of the available options if the phone is going to downscale any unsupported resolution anyway?.

What's even worse is if I turn the option OFF, everything gets transcoded to MP3!, why would I want that!?.

Edited by user Monday, September 7, 2020 3:34:19 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 4:25:00 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Users will have an option to save storage space or bandwidth.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
branches78 Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 4:38:56 PM(UTC)
branches78

That is what "Mobile Sound Quality" and "WiFi Sound Quality" are for, it's really an unnecessary option.

Edited by user Monday, September 7, 2020 4:42:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

branches78 Offline
#4 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2020 7:20:32 PM(UTC)
branches78

If the idea is to "save storage space or bandwidth" for users, then you should move those quality options into the WiFi and Mobile data quality menus, which it would look like the following list, without adding what's inside the parenthesis:

Original (It plays as originally encoded at up to 192Khz/24)

Studio quality (96Khz/24)

Near studio quality (48Khz/24)

CD quality (44.1Khz/16)

Highest quality

Near CD quality

Optimal quality and file size

Good quality

FM Radio quality

The idea here is to let users select the audio quality they really want in one single menu.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 9, 2020 11:26:45 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

branches78 Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2020 6:25:05 AM(UTC)
branches78

Another reason to ditch that option is something I already mention in my initial commentary:

When "No FLAC support" is selected, all FLACs are transcoded to 320Kbps MP3 (something the "highest quality" option already does) even when "Original" is selected in WiFi/mobile qualities, which makes no sense and it may be confusing for newcomers.

I hope you analyze the situation and decide to move those options to the WiFi/mobile qualities.

Thank you.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 9, 2020 8:23:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Muzecast Support Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 6:15:51 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

When OGG is selected and FLAC is disabled for Original quality, OGG is streamed at 500kbps bitrate, while in Highest quality OGG is streamed at around 300 kbps.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
branches78 Offline
#7 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 6:45:58 AM(UTC)
branches78

Originally Posted by: Muzecast Support Go to Quoted Post
When OGG is selected and FLAC is disabled for Original quality, OGG is streamed at 500kbps bitrate, while in Highest quality OGG is streamed at around 300 kbps.

That's OK but it's still confusing, Original is Original and it shouldn't be modified by any reason whatsoever, that's why you should move the options to the WiFi/Mobile data quality menus, trust me, it will be much better.

Please!?

Edited by user Friday, September 11, 2020 8:53:03 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Original is Original

Muzecast Support Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 2:07:45 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

How about, besides existing quality levels replace "Original" quality with 3 levesl:
- Lossless 16 bit;
- HD
- HiRes

Where HD is up to 96Khz 24 bit and HiREs is up to 192 Khz 24bit?

FLAC option will be removed in that case and will be integrated in these 3 levels.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
branches78 Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 2:45:10 PM(UTC)
branches78

Originally Posted by: Muzecast Support Go to Quoted Post
How about, besides existing quality levels replace "Original" quality with 3 levesl:
- Lossless 16 bit;
- HD
- HiRes

Where HD is up to 96Khz 24 bit and HiREs is up to 192 Khz 24bit?

FLAC option will be removed in that case and will be integrated in these 3 levels.

Sounds good!, so it would be:

Hi-Res

HD

Lossless

Highest quality

Near CD quality

Good quality

FM Radio quality

But I would use the word "CD quality" instead of "lossless" because it helps to understand the difference between "Near CD quality", users should immediately understand that the quality is better.
Muzecast Support Offline
#10 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 2:51:56 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Yes. There will be 2 options for Lossless, though:
Lossless 16
Lossless 24

Not sure if it makes sense to have these 2 options.

One is 16 bit, another is 24 bit are both for 44.1 Khz.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
branches78 Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 3:38:53 PM(UTC)
branches78

Allow me to provide an in-depth analysis of why you shouldn't ignore the "original" quality option:

Let's say that you implement your suggestions:

if I select the Hi-Res option to reduce transcoding as much as possible and turn ON the OGG option as well, all FLAC songs will still play in its original quality but MP3 will be transcoded to OGG.

I really would love all my music to be transcoded to OGG when using a mobile connection to save data using the "Optimal quality and file size" option, because OGG has better audio quality compared to MP3, but I don't want my original MP3s to be converted to OGG when Hi-Res option is selected along with OGG option when using WiFi, because that would be exactly the same as it currently does with the FLAC support menu when it's OFF. In this case you may think and say: "Well, you can turn the OGG option OFF when you don't need it", but the idea here is also to "Set and Forget" this settings, it's a hassle going back and forth to settings just for that.

Now, since the other idea is to help SAVE SPACE AND BANDWITH for users, I still believe there shouldn't be too many quality options, therefore, why would I want to convert a 192KHz/24 FLAC song to 96Khz/24 if that still takes up a lot of space and bandwith, and instead select only a "Lossless" or "CD quality" to save more space but keeping the lossless quality.

In this vein, the following list of quality options should be the only available:

Original: every single song should play in its original quality and format, even if OGG option is turned ON.

CD quality: you can keep this name or change it to Lossless, whatever you feel like it's better, but it should be only 44.1Khz/16bit, a 24bit option is NOT necessary.

Highest quality: this option and the rest below transcode FLAC to MP3 or OGG if it's turned ON, and MP3s to OGG if it's also turned ON.

Near CD quality

Good quality

FM Radio quality

Edited by user Friday, September 11, 2020 4:00:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: added some words.

branches78 Offline
#12 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 4:15:24 PM(UTC)
branches78

One more thing:

Why don't you set OGG as the default lossy format when selecting any of the lossy quality options and remove that option altogether?

OGG sounds better and it also has what the app says: "better gapless playback and seek precision".

That would be another option we don't have to deal with, because the app may provide the best quality possible without too much user intervention.

Summing up:

Selecting original plays every single song in its original quality and format and selecting any of the lossy formats transcode everything to OGG.

Think about it.

Thank you for your attention, I really appreciate it.

Edited by user Friday, September 11, 2020 4:19:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Muzecast Support Offline
#13 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 4:40:28 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Yes. that is what I am doing now. OGG option will be removed.
Here are upcoming changes:

1. Variable SEEK option - when turned off, first song will be streamed without seekable flag, but next song to buffer (while playing the first one) will be seekable;
2. OGG is removed and ON by default, but if original file is MP3 and quality is set to Lossless or above, original MP3 will be streamed in MP3 format. Otherwise it will be streamed in OGG format, Since ExoPlayer does not support OGG format, if ExoPlayer is truned ON, streaming will be done in MP3 instead of OGG for lossy formats;
3. FLAC option is removed. Instead 4 new quality settings will be available: Lossless 16, Lossless 24, HD, and HiRes, which can be set separatly for WiFi or Mobile connections;

Please note, that Samsung devices still can seek files even when SEEK option is turned off, but OnePlus 6t cannot seek if option is turned off.

So it is different from device to device.

Since Mobile connections usually very spotty for Hi Speed internet, I would not recommend to use hi quality settings for Mobile connection. Lossless 16 would be the top recommended quality for Mobile connection, but that is if you have plenty of gigabytes on your plan.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
branches78 Offline
#14 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 4:48:50 PM(UTC)
branches78

Quote:
Yes. that is what I am doing now. OGG option will be removed.

OK.

Quote:
Lossless 16, Lossless 24, HD

Why don't you keep only the Lossless 16?, like I said in my previous comment, why would I want to convert a 192Khz/24 song to 96Hkz/24 since that still takes up a lot of space, I believe the Lossless 16 option is more than enough.

Quote:
Please note, that Samsung devices still can seek files even when SEEK option is turned off, but OnePlus 6t cannot seek if option is turned off. So it is different from device to device.

I wonder how it will behave with my Moto E6 Plus...

Quote:
Since Mobile connections usually very spotty for Hi Speed internet, I would not recommend to use hi quality settings for Mobile connection. Lossless 16 would be the top recommended quality for Mobile connection, but that is if you have plenty of gigabytes on your plan.

Yes, that's correct.

Edited by user Friday, September 11, 2020 4:51:17 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Some words corrected.

Muzecast Support Offline
#15 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 4:54:41 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

I am still debating with myself weather to have 2 Lossless option 16 and 24. Probably you are right, that it will be more confusing and I will leave only 16 bit option.

But Higher options still will be HD 96Khz 24 bit and Hi-Res 192 Kbps 24 bit, because some devices do not support 192Khz, such as FireTV or Amazon tablets. (At least in the near past).
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
branches78 Offline
#16 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2020 5:00:35 PM(UTC)
branches78

Quote:
I am still debating with myself weather to have 2 Lossless option 16 and 24. Probably you are right, that it will be more confusing and I will leave only 16 bit option.

Good to know you cleared things up.

Quote:
But Higher options still will be HD 96Khz 24 bit and Hi-Res 192 Kbps 24 bit, because some devices do not support 192Khz, such as FireTV or Amazon tablets. (At least in the near past).

Shouldn't they downscale to a lower resolution as any android phone or android tv device do?
branches78 Offline
#17 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 7:57:06 AM(UTC)
branches78

I just received the 10.1.0 version and you nailed it!, the new quality options are finally as they should, however I have a couple of questions:

1) Why did you keep the OOG option? I thought you were going to remove it and put the codec as default?

2) Can you please explain to me once and for all why the music is NOT copying directly when ReplayGain and Seekable FLAC are OFF and instead is getting re-encoded?
Muzecast Support Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 8:01:33 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

OGG - for example OnePlus does not work well with OGG format.

Re-encoding Lossless format does not lose quality, but needed to make sure all FLAC files are the same container to be played on any Android devices.

Some FLAC files users have are not a good shape to be played directly on some devices.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
branches78 Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 8:11:42 AM(UTC)
branches78

Quote:
OGG - for example OnePlus does not work well with OGG format.

Understood.

Quote:
Re-encoding Lossless format does not lose quality, but needed to make sure all FLAC files are the same container to be played on any Android devices. Some FLAC files users have are not a good shape to be played directly on some devices.

Ok, that makes sense but why is then re-encoding MP3s? I just tested one 320Kbps MP3 with 8.574 KB and the file afterwards is 257Kbps with 6.843 KB?

For this test I turned OFF everything and the quality is set at the maximum (Hi-Res).
Muzecast Support Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, September 14, 2020 8:13:52 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

What quality settings and what is seekable flag is set to?

In Lossless or above, it should continue to be CBR and keep 320Kbps. If not, I will double check on that then.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.