MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

ballfam Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:40:17 PM(UTC)
ballfam

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I think there is an issue with the latest mix algorithm, when style is set to "auto" it is supposed to use a combination of similar artists and traditional analysis based, but it seems to generate mainly songs from the same artist. I have tried to generate 8 different mixes with 3 different artists songs as a root, and they always generate all songs by the same artist, or some strictly derived artists.

I have increasingly bumped variety; it is now set to "8", and I bumped initial size from 6 to 12. Even with these settings, if I choose e.g and Oasis song as the root, it will generate 12 songs, 9 of which are Oasis tracks, and the other 3 are Beady Eye tracks (Beady Eye is the band formed from some of the ex-Oasis members). I got as far as 30 tracks on one playlist, and almost all of them were Oasis. I have over 22,000 songs in my library, and several albums from British Indie artists that could have been in the mix. Same thing with AC/DC, which used to generate a wide-variety of mix, and now generates almost all AC/DC songs.

Somehow I think the algorithm is broken, it seems to almost permanently run in "similar artist" mode, and unless the artists has nearly a 100% match, it won't be included in the mix.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Edited by user Thursday, January 7, 2016 6:59:29 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Sponsor
ballfam Offline
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:18:47 AM(UTC)
ballfam

I managed to actually get a good mix by setting style to "radio mode" and variety to "9" (the maximum). Now it generates a reasonable mix from similar artists.

After playing with a few mixes it seems like the "auto" mix adds mostly songs from "similar artists", and then adds about 10% from analysis. The "similar artist" algorithm seems to key quite heavily from variety, and unless it is set really high, other artists are not included.

Looking at "similar artists" for a few of the artists I have, I see that, unless this is a band with many of the same members, the similarity drops very quickly; usually there is 0 or 1 other artist close to 100% similarity, and then it drops to around 30-35% after that for any other artist in the list, and quickly reaches 5-10%. In order to get any other artists in the mix for "similar artist", the variety needs to be relay high (8 or 9).

Is there any explanation on how "similar artists" works with "variety" and percent similarity? What is the ratio of "similar artist" to "analysis based" in "auto" mode?

Thanks
Muzecast Support Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:44:35 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Similar Artists are requested from Last.fm and returned list matched to all artists in your library by name. That is why Radio mix does not required Analysis data, but require ID3Tags.

AutoMix merges RadioMix with Analysis Mix by Artist name. That is why it is the most strict mix. I am going to change that to not merge, but to combine both into Auto Mix to have better variety of Artists in the mix.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2016 12:50:44 PM(UTC)
ballfam

O.K...thanks. I have found a good compromise with mixes now on the current algorithm. I'm running "radio mix" with variety at "9", and I seems to give a good mix of bands within the same type of genre. It's actually kind-of a refreshing change, rather than sometimes getting stuff that sounds similar, but otherwise has no explicable similarity to the root song, I'm getting bands that I would associate as somewhat similar to the root artist, kind-of like a real radio station (at least an "album" station that plays almost all non-single tracks anyway). Most of my tracks have ID3 tags, and I always scan with full analysis.

Looking forward to the next update. I'll try switching back to old settings when I get another update to see what effect it has.

Edited by user Thursday, January 7, 2016 12:52:02 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Muzecast Support Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2016 2:08:55 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Mix algorithm for Auto Mode has been updated.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
 1 user thanked Muzecast Support for this useful post.
ballfam on 1/14/2016(UTC)
ballfam Offline
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:22:34 PM(UTC)
ballfam

Thanks....6.1.1 just showed up in my updates, I'll grab and let you know how it works.
ballfam Offline
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:35:28 PM(UTC)
ballfam

Much better, with variety =2 I get about 50% of the songs from the root artist; with variety = 4, it drops to about 30-35%.

I'm currently running in "auto" mode with variety=4, which seems to work well.

Thanks for the update.