MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
ballfam Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 9:35:56 AM(UTC)
ballfam

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I just upgraded my client to 6.1.0 and I noticed that my 4g streaming is broken. Here's what I have noticed:

- Local connection over WiFi works fine
- Remote connection over WiFi also works fine
- Remote connection using 4g is not able to stream new tracks
- Over 4g, I can view and search the entire library without any issue, songs just don't download

Playback of already cached songs seems to be fine, and when playback is active, the icon for the next songs goes blue as though it is streaming ahead, also at the same time, the icon in the desktop server tray flashes blue and mouse-over displays the song being downloaded, however the song never seems to make it on the the phone client. When the previous track finishes playing, the new streamed track starts, but nothing plays. Looking at the playlist shows that the song is not "green", it goes from "blue" (streaming) to nothing. Eventually, the desktop icon goes green again as though the streaming is done, but no song on the client.

I also tried "download song", and it seems to say "downloading", but the progress bar never moves and the song never gets downloaded, and it is eventually removed from the download queue.

If I'm connect to the local WiFi, or on a remote WiFi, everything seems to work fine.

I'm using a Galaxy Note 4 client running Android 5.0.1 with an SD card. Muzecast stores on the SD.

There are no errors in the server log.

Anything I can do the debug the problem?

Thanks

Edited by user Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:21:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: corrected title

Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 11:58:29 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Logs shows that there were attempts to stream 7 mp3 files with quality set to "Original"

Server never received these files to redirect to your device.

Errors shows that there were connectivity issues between your computer and Muzecast Central Server.

Try to restart your computer, check amount of disk space available on the drive where Muzecast is installed, as well as check if there is enough space available on your device SD card to cache a song.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#3 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 10:09:19 PM(UTC)
ballfam

Thanks for the reply. I had assumed this was a client issue, but if it is a server problem, then there are two things I did on the server recently:

1) I upgraded from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 10 (it had to happen eventually)
2) I upgraded Muzecast to 5.5.0

So I tried t reboot, but it didn't help. First thing I tried after reboot was a remote download. The song shows as a downloading and the icon flashes blue on the server showing the song downloading. Eventually the download on the phone errors out with "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host"

There is a ton of space on my server where Muzecast is installed (at least 200 Gig free), and I have 19 Gig of free space on the SD card on my phone, so space is definitely not an issue. Also, I should probably note that all types of streaming and download work completely fine if I'm on local WiFi.

It seems that I have no problem communicating with the server, I can see and scan the library, and the server gets the request to stream a song, it seems to start streaming and the tray icon flashes blue, but the phone never gets any data.

I have my settings set to "original" for both WiFi and 4g and "WiFi streaming only" is unchecked to allow streaming over 4g.

"Check status of my home computer" in settings shows the correct library status, and number of songs is correct.

everything looks fine, it just can't stream songs over the remote 4g connection.

Something to do with Windows 10 maybe? Any way I can set tracing to debug?
Muzecast Support Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 10:15:07 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

If you have telnet client installed on your server, could you check if you can telnet using following commands:

telnet www.muzecast.com 65000

and

telnet www.muzecast.com 65001

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
Muzecast Support Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 10:19:13 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Also could you edit homedj.ini file in the folder where Muzecast is installed and change uploadtype line to be like this:

uploadtype=wcf

Restart Muzecast service or reboot your server after that change.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
Muzecast Support Offline
#6 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 10:24:22 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

When "uploadtype" is set to TCP, Muzecast will try to use port 65000 and 65001 to upload file to be streamed to your device over 4G. It looks like an upgrade to Windows 10 set to outbound block to connect using these ports. Either it is Windows Firewall or some Internet Security Software, which blocks access to these ports for Outbound connection.

When "uploadtype" is set to WCF, Muzecast will use standard port 80 to stream a file.

Muzecast checks if WCF can be used to send a file during Muzecast Service startup, and it looks like this check is failing, which cause to switch to TCP mode.

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
Muzecast Support Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 9:06:30 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Attached is updated Muzecast Server executable.

How to apply a patch:
1. Stop Muzecast Service from Confgurator;
2. Backup existing Vorlan.HomeDJ.Server.exe file;
3. Unzip attached Vorlan.HomeDJ.Server.zip and extract file Vorlan.HomeDJ.Server.exe
4. Copy extracted Vorlan.HomeDJ.Server.exe into Muzecast installation folder;
5. Start Muzecast Service.

Edited by user Saturday, January 2, 2016 9:09:16 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Vorlan.HomeDJ.Server.zip (1,219kb) downloaded 2 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 9:07:05 AM(UTC)
ballfam

I enabled telnet and tried to connect, both 65000 and 65001 immediately connect, but as expected, protocol is unrecognized and I get disconnected, Port 80 also works fine.

I edited homedj.ini and changed protocol to wcf, but as soon as I re-start the service, Muzecast tries to connect and changes the protocol back to tcp. After service re-start, I re-edit the ini file and the line is set back to tcp again. I guess wcf doesn't work so it fails over to tcp.

I have windows firewall disabled completely and I'm just using the firewall on the router, this is a server machine, and I'm fine to allow local networks to access it unrestricted. Router is upnp enabled and should be able to auto-configure ports, router also hasn't changed since Muzecast was working fine.

I'm running windows 10 professional (not home edition), so maybe Microsoft configured something that is blocking access on this version? Has anyone reported professional working yet?

Any other ideas. Will it help to change my server port (currently set to some random port value)?

I have a Windows developer license, so worst case I can run a Windows 7 VM just to run Muzecaset, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks for the help so far.
ballfam Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 9:08:57 AM(UTC)
ballfam

just saw you replied while I was typing. I'll try to apply the patch and let you know how it goes.
ballfam Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:07:57 AM(UTC)
ballfam

With the patch installed and protocol set to tcp, no difference, downloads still fail same as before

With the protocol set to wcf and the patch installed, after starting the server, the protocol stays as wcf and does not auto-switch to tcp. So now, with the protocol using wcf, downloads still down work, but when I try to download something, the server goes offline momentarily and then re-connects; the download still doesn't work.

So the patch appears to have forced the protocol to wcf, but it doesn't fix the problem.

I'm guessing that Windows 10 is blocking something somehow, but since I have the firewall disabled, I don't know how.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks
Muzecast Support Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:14:13 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

I made a few tweaks on my side. Could you try to stream again?
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:29:19 AM(UTC)
ballfam

just tried again; streaming request seems to cause the server to disconnect, although the artwork for the song downloaded. ..it is still trying to re-connect now. Protocol is still set to wcf
ballfam Offline
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:32:55 AM(UTC)
ballfam

it re-connected after a minute or two, but still no download.
ballfam Offline
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:34:34 AM(UTC)
ballfam

not sure if it is something you are doing your end, but it is disconnecting and re-connecting now. Currently disconnected.
ballfam Offline
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:36:02 AM(UTC)
ballfam

back again now....let me know if you want me to try anything.
Muzecast Support Offline
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:41:01 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

I am investigating...

I have several test machines setup for testing and one of them is Windows 10 with latest updates installed. That machine works fine.

I will trace down what is going on with your streaming and will try to resolve it ASAP.

Just leave your Muzecast running.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:45:40 AM(UTC)
ballfam

O.K...thanks. Remember I'm on Windows 10 Professional.

I'll leave the server running as always (machine runs 24x7 anyway). Once in a while I'll try to stream again from the client to see if anything works.
Muzecast Support Offline
#18 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 11:16:17 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

If you have time, maybe you can uninstall Muzecast and re-install it again.

What is startup option for Muzecast (Muzecast Configurator->Startup Tab)?

If startup option is (When computer boots), could you check if SYSTEM account has access to the folders where your music files are?
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 12:18:08 PM(UTC)
ballfam

I'll try a re-install when I'm back at home later and let you know how it goes. I do have it set for "when computer starts", so I'll double check privileges, I can also re-set to "when I log in" to see if it helps. Streaming works fine over local WiFi, so I don't think it is a privilege problem.
ballfam Offline
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 5:26:23 PM(UTC)
ballfam

So I uninstalled, and for good measure I deleted the entire contents for c:\Muzecast (which BTW it doesn't remove on uninstall). Then I downloaded 5.5.0 again and installed. It is now completely rebuilding the library, and it also chose a different port for the server.

It didn't help...again, local streaming over WiFi is completely fine, but as soon as I switch to 4g (external network), it cannot download any songs, but it has no problem connecting to the server and seeing the library.

Since I did the re-install I'm back on the un-patched version, but I can re-apply the patch if needed.

Just as a test, and so I can get the server up and running again, I'm going to roll up a Windows 7 VM and install Muzecast as a temporary measure, but I'll also leave the Windows 10 install around in case you need me to try something.

Somehow, I think Windows 10 is blocking this kind of request originating from an IP that is not on the same sub-net; what I don't understand is why I can connect and browse the library without any issues; does Muzecast send a different kind of request on another port when it needs to stream actual songs?

BTW: the fresh install switched back to TCP again.