MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

skremer1 Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 6:40:59 AM(UTC)
skremer1

Groups: Registered

Hello, I have a huge music collection but already have Replay Gain assigned to all of my tracks from WinAmp and Foobar. Why doesn't your scanning just ignore Replay Gain if it's already existing in the tracks? I can't get the scan to even come close to finishing because it's analyzing the tracks for Replay Gain, but they already have it built in.

I want to use Replay Gain while I'm playing through Muzecast, but I don't want the library scan to look at it as it's already there. Any way to do this?
Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 6:50:00 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 139 post(s)
I will add an option to use replay gain stored in tags if any.

I have noticed that sometimes mp3 files can be sold with replay gain in tags, but volume already adjusted. So when Muzecast was using replaygain from tags without scanning the song, volume was cutoff. Decision was made to scan tracks anyway for better analysis of replaygain.

An option will be added to be both ways and scan files, which do not have tag info or use tag info ReplayGain.

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
skremer1 Offline
#3 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 7:16:55 AM(UTC)
skremer1

Thanks for the quick reply, I think the option to read existing replay gain would be great and vastly speed up library scanning for many. Love the app, keep up the great work
camilol Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:47:26 PM(UTC)
camilol

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi, I know I'm kinda bringing this thread back from the dead but I have the exact same issue. I'd like to use the ReplayGain tags already stored in my tracks but I can't seem to find an option to do that in the app or the streamer.
Any chance to see this function implemented in the near future or have you dropped the idea?

Many thanks in advance and great software btw :).
Muzecast Support Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:21:51 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

In the next release of Muzecast Server I will add an option to use ReplayGain from tags and where it is missing, track will be scanned.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
 1 user thanked Muzecast Support for this useful post.
camilol on 2/17/2016(UTC)
camilol Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:29:09 AM(UTC)
camilol

Very happy to hear it :). Thank you again for your time, for replying so quickly and for a fantastic piece of software.
Muzecast Support Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 5, 2016 3:52:07 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

If ReplayGain tag information returns negative value, song will be analyzed for a peak volume and difference will be stored in Muzecast database as ReplayGain value instead of tag value.

If ReplayGain tag information returns positive value, song WILL NOT be analyzed and tag value will be stored in Muzecast database as ReplayGain value.

If ReplayGain tag is missing, song will be analyzed for peak volume and difference will be stored in Muzecast database as ReplayGain value
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
camilol Offline
#8 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 5:48:15 PM(UTC)
camilol

Not working for me :(. Maybe I'm missing something. I have lots of flacs and mp3s with negative replaygain values, they all show up as 0dB in the player. I also have some file with positive replaygain values, they show up with completely different values in the player. It's almost as if Muzecast couldn't find the tag information at all.
Muzecast Support Offline
#9 Posted : Friday, March 11, 2016 6:00:19 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Next version of Muzecast Player will have an option to reset ReplayGain collected by Muzecast, so it will refresh it from tags.

Negative ReplayGain is treated as no replaygain, because it is inconsistent with other tracks, which might not have ReplayGain.

Muzecast scans the song if Tag is missing to find maximum peak volume and records it as ReplayGain.

For example, I have flac file for Deep Purple album where each song has ReaplyGain Tag as negative value -8dB for Track and -6dB for Album.
The rest of the songs I have do not have ReaplyGain tag stored. So Muzecast scans these songs. Let's say other songs become 0dB ReplayGain and played at 86dB normal volume. But because Deep Purple ReaplyGain was -8dB, when it is played in the mix, playback volume jumps to lower volume -8dB and song with 0dB gain plays loudly. That is why Muzecast ignores negative ReplayGain and treats it as 0dB without scanning a song to make sure all songs are played with equal volume.

Upcoming version of Muzecast Player will go even further and will use Album ReaplyGain when Album is played in Gapless Mode and Track ReplayGain when songs are shuffled or Mixed. If Muzecast will use negative ReplayGain, a lot of people will complain about low volume of playback.

But to satisfy each and every user, I might add an option to Muzecast Streaming Server to use only tag information for replay gain, and if Tag is missing, it will use 0db.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
camilol Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 12, 2016 2:32:54 AM(UTC)
camilol

I understand, thanks for the explanation.
xabba Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 1:59:40 PM(UTC)
xabba

Originally Posted by: Muzecast Support Go to Quoted Post
Next version of Muzecast Player will have an option to reset ReplayGain collected by Muzecast, so it will refresh it from tags.

Negative ReplayGain is treated as no replaygain, because it is inconsistent with other tracks, which might not have ReplayGain.

Muzecast scans the song if Tag is missing to find maximum peak volume and records it as ReplayGain.

For example, I have flac file for Deep Purple album where each song has ReaplyGain Tag as negative value -8dB for Track and -6dB for Album.
The rest of the songs I have do not have ReaplyGain tag stored. So Muzecast scans these songs. Let's say other songs become 0dB ReplayGain and played at 86dB normal volume. But because Deep Purple ReaplyGain was -8dB, when it is played in the mix, playback volume jumps to lower volume -8dB and song with 0dB gain plays loudly. That is why Muzecast ignores negative ReplayGain and treats it as 0dB without scanning a song to make sure all songs are played with equal volume.

Upcoming version of Muzecast Player will go even further and will use Album ReaplyGain when Album is played in Gapless Mode and Track ReplayGain when songs are shuffled or Mixed. If Muzecast will use negative ReplayGain, a lot of people will complain about low volume of playback.

But to satisfy each and every user, I might add an option to Muzecast Streaming Server to use only tag information for replay gain, and if Tag is missing, it will use 0db.

The way I'm reading this is that all tracks that have a negative dB level ReplayGain tag are not adjusted at all in Muzecast? If that is the case, this might explain the issue I'm having. I have songs from CDs made all the way back in the 80s in my library. With the modern loudness wars, CDs produced in the late 90's through today are being mixed much louder than older CDs. If I have a song that has a -2dB avg volume, and the next one is -12dB avg, then the volume will jump up substantially when that next track is played. The whole point of ReplayGain is to have every song play at a target loudness of 89dB. Right now, I'm experiencing these jumps in volume when shuffling through all of my music. It would be greatly appreciated to have a setting in Muzecast that follows the true ReplayGain spec, even if it only works for files that already have ReplayGain tags embedded. I'm well aware that all tracks would be played at a lower volume, but they'll also be at the same volume.

P.S. Thank you for all of your hard work in developing Muzecast. It has nearly every feature you could possibly ask for! I purchased the pro version several months ago, and I use it every time I get in my car.
Muzecast Support Offline
#12 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2016 6:13:43 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Upcoming version of Muzecast Streaming Server will use ReplayGain tag regardless if it is negative to positive and will not scan a song, if ReplayGain tag present.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
xabba Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:34:31 AM(UTC)
xabba

That is excellent news. Thank you so much!

Just one more question. When implemented, will you be setting the ReplayGain target loudness at 89dB? I know in an earlier post you commented 86dB, but that is actually for the EBU R128 standard. Using a target loudness other than 89db could also cause issues with volume leveling, since by default ReplayGain scanners are configured to use 89dB SPL for reference.
xabba Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 2:42:45 AM(UTC)
xabba

Just wanted to comment, although I could tell that negative values are now being used (by the volume being much lower), I am still getting songs that are much louder than others. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why. I initially tried clearing ReplayGain values through the Android app. When that didn't seem to work, I completely uninstalled Muzecast from my PC and phone, then reinstalled both (I deleted the Muzecast directory on my PC after uninstalling). That did not work either. As a side note, all of my music was scanned for ReplayGain values with Foobar2000, and I don't have this issue when listening through it or Kodi.

That led to another issue with my album artwork. After reinstalling everything, Muzecast would not use my folder.jpg files for album art. It instead used what I assume to be a web search (the covers being used were ones I did not have). I had explicitly only checked the 'Use image file named: folder' option, but it still did not use them. I ultimately uninstalled everything again, and reinstalled 5.5.0 (the only previous version I could find on my PC). That version scanned my album art correctly again.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
camilol Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:36:43 AM(UTC)
camilol

In my case, at the moment, ReplayGain is only working with flac files. My mp3 files are all played at 0dB, despite them all having a ReplayGain value in their Id3v2 tag.
Muzecast Support Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:11:55 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

There is no clear standard on ReplayGain tags, and it might be different what you have in your MP3 files. Could you send me via email one MP3 file with ReplayGain tags and I will trace down why it is not reading it.

Thank you.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
camilol Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:42:56 AM(UTC)
camilol

Sure, thanks as always for the quick reply. I'll post a couple of screenshots here to better show the issue and I'll mail you the file right away (to support@homedj.net). All my files are tagged using AIMP3 tag editor, if this can be useful to track the issue.

Edited by user Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:52:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

camilol Offline
#18 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2016 6:32:48 AM(UTC)
camilol

After the release of the new update, as you already let me know in your e-mail, everything is working properly. Just wanted to thank you again, and I've decided to buy the pro version, since I've been using and appreciating the free version of your app for almost a year and after this patch it has really become perfect for my needs. Keep up the good work.
 1 user thanked camilol for this useful post.
Muzecast Support on 5/21/2016(UTC)
Muzecast Support Offline
#19 Posted : Saturday, May 21, 2016 7:18:46 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Thank you.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.