MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

gguerra333 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, June 5, 2015 5:12:20 AM(UTC)
gguerra333

Groups: Registered

I use Muzecast quite a bit and recently I have been having more and more problems getting good sound from it. In the past it has been better.

I recently updated to Lollipop (Android 5) and although everything works a little better except the stock EQ and Muzecast.

I dont know if this has anything to do with the ROM of this phone or the compatibility of Muzecast with Lollipop

The stock EQ seems to do little to nothing to affect the sound. So I started trying different 3rd party apps like DSP Manager Lite. I can get this app to work but it seems every other song it stops working and I have to restart it continuously.

By the way, I did disable the stock EQ when using another app.

I have another app called Poweramp which has it's own EQ and that works and sounds beautifully.

It would be nice if Muzecast had it's own EQ like Poweramp. I would pay extra $ for that in a heartbeat.

So at this point I dont know if it's a problem with my phone and Muzecast and the OS upgrade or what?

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:24:22 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Muzecast own equalizer will be implemented in the near future.

Stock equalizers are using SoundFX API provided by android, but OEM sometimes tweak it for their own music players, so Muzecast might not fully support it.
What happens, that Muzecast is using 2 instances of internal Music Player to provide crossfade effect, and when one instances finishes playing it destroys SoundFX instance of API, which destroys the second instance too.

You can try the following:
* Try to CHECK ON settings in Muzecast Settings->Advanced->Disable SoundFX checkbox;
When it is ON, Equalizer will use general sound bus with id 0 to provide effects. But not all Equalizers are doing this. The best equalizer which supports this is "Equalizer" (you can find it on Google Play Store)

* if the above option is checked OFF, you can disabled crossfade in Muzecast Settings->Advanced->Change Songs crossfade->OFF. Also on the player screen there is an icon with 2 lines to control crossfade. Click it until it turns RED.

* If you are rooted, the best equalizer was Viper4Android which worked perfectly when Disable SoundFX option was turned ON.

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
gguerra333 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 12:06:36 PM(UTC)
gguerra333

Thanks for the reply. There is no link to the eq on play store. What is the name of it?. I can just search for it. I had already tried the soundfx option in advanced settings. Still no luck. I want to try the EQ you mentioned but need the name.
Muzecast Support Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 7, 2015 12:37:11 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
gguerra333 Offline
#5 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 5:33:53 AM(UTC)
gguerra333

OK, I installed "Equalizer". I still get no effect on the sound. Muzecast does "see" it because when I click on the EQ icon in Muzecast it gives me a choice between SoundFX or "Equalizer". I select Equalizer and try changing the sound through that. I do have the "Disable SoundFX checkbox " set to ON.

Could it be something with the OS upgrade to "Lollipop" that is causing this?

Like I said before I did have an EQ that kind of worked. It is called DSP Manager Lite. When it worked it worked well. I kept on having to restart it to get it to work, then it would stop working randomly. So I don't know at this point. I do remember that the stock EQ was working fine (or better) a while back. Don't know what changed?

Should I try reinstalling Muzecast?

Thanks

Edited by user Monday, June 8, 2015 5:36:33 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Muzecast Support Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 5:37:30 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Particularly in that area of code there were no changes for a long time (in Muzecast).

I will investigate it more deeply and while try to expedite Muzecast own equalizer implementation.

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
gguerra333 Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, June 8, 2015 3:08:02 PM(UTC)
gguerra333

I did a little more research and seems from the reviews for "Equalizer" that people that are using Lollipop are having issues as well. This may be why the stock EQ / Muzecast is not working as well. Just FYI. At least it's a clue. Thanks

Edit: After doing more searches online it seems many people are having EQ problems on all EQ apps including stock SoundFX EQ after updating their OS. This is for many different type phones.

Edited by user Monday, June 8, 2015 8:29:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Muzecast Support Offline
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 9, 2015 1:58:59 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Initial tests using Android build-in Equalizer implemented directly in Muzecast showed positive results.

I am moving ahead implementing it directly in Muzecast and next release will have it's own equalizer.

Approximate time of completion is 2 weeks or less.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
gguerra333 Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:07:39 AM(UTC)
gguerra333

EQ is working well (so far). Nice job!

It did stop working in the middle of a song once when I first did the upgrade to 5.5 I could not get it to work. The "On" button showed it was on but the sliders did nothing to change the sound. I closed the app, re-booted phone and it has been working well since. I will report back if I see any problems.

P.S. When playing music in the car the EQ is essential if you want to get good sound from MP3's. With the headphones it is not that much of an issue.

Thanks again..
gguerra333 Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:16:08 AM(UTC)
gguerra333

I am testing this as I type.

OK, it stopped working again. It seemed to stop when going from one song to another. The "ON" button is green but the sliders to not change the sound. I press the green button to turn off, then on again and the sliders are greyed out (cannot be adjusted).

I then go to another playlist and it starts working again. Could certain songs or playlists make it stop working?

I am trying to find a pattern here..

Edit: OK, so I went back to the playlist that was playing when the EQ stopped working and it is still working. We will see how it goes.

Edited by user Wednesday, July 1, 2015 10:17:53 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

gguerra333 Offline
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 3:51:06 AM(UTC)
gguerra333

I have been testing the new EQ. It does stop working sometimes in the middle of a song or when changing from one song to the next. It will stay working for several songs before stopping.

When it stops working the EQ appears to be on (on/off button is green) but the sliders don't change the sound. If I turn it OFF then ON again the sliders turn grey even though the button is geren.

If I go back and "play" the same selection or "resume" the playlist from the "just played" list it will start working again.
Muzecast Support Offline
#12 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 3:53:40 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Please check Muzecast Settings->Advanced->Disable SoundFX Control. is this option checked ON or OFF?
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
gguerra333 Offline
#13 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 4:32:35 AM(UTC)
gguerra333

Option was checked "OFF". I checked it "ON" and still the EQ did not work.

I shut down the app with the option still checked "ON", restarted the app and still no EQ.

I turned it OFF and the EQ works (for a while).

So it never works with Disable SoundFX is ON. With it OFF it works but will stop after one or more songs.

Like I said before, if I click BACK on my phone and then "Resume" or "Play" the same list, it will reset and work again.
Muzecast Support Offline
#14 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:23:41 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

For Lollipop this option must be always OFF. Google have deprecated support for Equalizer for a Global AudioMix channel.

Now, let's try Android build in equalizer. To do that, stop playback, go to Muzecast Settings and Uncheck to box: Use Build-in Equalizer.
Now start playback and open equalizer. Adjust it and see how long it will hold parameters.

I have tried Build-In equalizer on multiple devices (not Motorola) and this issue did not exist. Playback never lost equalization. If I will be able to get a hold of Motorola device, I will try to debug and see what is going on with Motorola implementation of Lollipop.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
Muzecast Support Offline
#15 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:24:31 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

BTW. Try another option in Muzecast->Advanced->Use Internal Streaming - ON.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
gguerra333 Offline
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 9:39:04 AM(UTC)
gguerra333

The stock EQ seems to be doing the same thing. The only thing is that the stock EQ sucks. It only has presets, no pre-amp or bass gain. So I much prefer your new EQ.

When I was running the older ver 5.1.2 with Lollipop I could never get the stock EQ to work at all. Now it works like the new built in EQ. It will work but stop at random times.

It is the Moto G 1st Gen. It may be the phone? Hardware or Software? I do not have any other EQ/Sound FX app running.

I never experienced any of this with KitKat so I strongly suspect it has to do with Lollipop on this phone. It seems Motorola may have screwed things up. I have heard of others experiencing similar problems with this phone. I usually do not update as new things come out and did not even think abouot it when I did this update.

I always use internal streaming. Sometimes the sound will "hiccup" during playback. I do not know what causes the hiccup but it this seems to help.

I do have a Samsung tablet and when I get some more time I will test the EQ with that.

Thanks, I will post back in a few days.

Muzecast Support Offline
#17 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 9:45:46 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

When you disable Muzecast option to use Muzecast Build-in equalizer, please make sure that Android own Equalizer or any other equalizer you have installed are turned off before you switch Muzecast to use Muzecast Build-in equalizer.

Meanwhile I will try to see, if I will be able to catch a signal when equalizer is turning off by itself and re-enable it again.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
gguerra333 Offline
#18 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:04:28 AM(UTC)
gguerra333

Sorry I did not respond before. It seems that last bit of advice is what did it for me, DUH! The EQ works perfectly now. I had left the stock EQ turned ON. All is good. Thanks