MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

risk87105 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 9:42:55 PM(UTC)
risk87105

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I just noticed that muzecast is an administrative account on my Windows 7 machine. Can you give me details about this. It gives me the description that it is from home Dj and I am just curious to know why exactly there is a user account created and why it has administrative privileges? What information are you collecting besides the music folders and is this user potentially making any changes to my system without my knowledge? It is very important that I not only get these questions answered, but I get complete and descriptive details of what this account does and who is controlling it. Thank you
Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:10:31 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 139 post(s)
This user has to be under Administrator for the following reasons:
1. If you have your files on the network, HomeDJ has to impersonate using user name and password you provided when you added Network folders. If you do not have network folders, HomeDJ will not perform impersonation;
2. HomeDJ has to start internal service if you want to access your computer from Android device directly via WiFi if you on the same network, or via internet if you have TCP port forwarding setup. If muzecast user is not an administrator, Windows will not let to start Service Host.
3. To have ability to selfupdate when update is available. If muzecast user is not an administrator, it will not be able to manipulate files in C:\HomeDJ folder as well as restart itself (Windows Serivce). Only administrators can do it.

musecast user does not have rights for interactive login. It is only for Windows Service. It accessing only C:\HomeDJ folder, or accessing your music files you selected on your local drive or network. When it has to access files you added in Folder Setup over the network, it performs temporary login using windows user name and password you provided when you added network folder.

Before HomeDJ was running under LOCAL SYSTEM account, but some users had issues where this account was blocked from accessing Internet, making HomeDJ not to function.

HomeDJ only get songs Tag information and READ music files you specified to upload these files to your Android device. It does not collect any other information except:
1. Memory utilization by HomeDJ;
2. CPU utilization by HomeDJ;

The other reason why separate user was selected is: When I was troubleshooting some users issues, they told me that they do not have even password setup for their Windows login, which made HomeDJ not having rights to start internal services, because Windows blocked it. And when LOCAL SYSTEM account could not access internet there was no way to setup HomeDJ to function under Windows Services. The only option was is to run HomeDJ when user logs in into Windows, similar to Audiogalaxy or Dropbox. But when I was doing research, a lot of users were complaining that services I just mentioned could not run without user login, and people were looking for workaround to make AG and other similar application to run as Windows Service.

HomeDJ was designed to run as Windows Service, so user does not have to login to their Home computer in order to run HomeDJ, making it Home Server friendly.

If you still have concerns about this muzecast user, you can just change HomeDJ Service to run under SYSTEM account, by going to:
Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services.
Open properties for HomeDJ Service,
Select tab: Log on
Select radio button "Use System Account"
Click OK.
Restart HomeDJ Service.

Name Muzecast, what is it?
This is a future name I am planing to use for HomeDJ.

PS: Password for musecast user is generated during installation and it is random. I even do not know what password it has when it is created.

Edited by user Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:22:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
risk87105 Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 13, 2013 11:40:26 PM(UTC)
risk87105

Groups: Registered

Okay I understand thank you for being so detailed in your answer i appreciate that. Also appreciate the instructions to take it of if we wanted to. Thank you for the clarification and I apologize if I came out strong in my post it just concerned me when I sawit I hope you can understand why it concerned me but after your explanation I get it. Thank you
Muzecast Support Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 14, 2013 2:26:45 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 139 post(s)
You do not have to apologize. I totally understand your concern. All this should in Operational Manual, which I am still working on.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.