MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

ballfam Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 10:44:28 AM(UTC)
ballfam

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Now I have started using mixes heavily, I have noticed a couple of things, and it would be nice to know what they mean.

1) If I look at the playlist, some tracks are marked with a yellow asterisk, and some with a blue "plus". I notice that not all tracks are marked, although the majority of them are; the tracks that are not yet plated in the list usually have a yellow asterisk. Ones that have been played usually have a blue "plus", but can sometimes have a yellow asterisk. Some tracks have no marking at all. What to these markings mean?

2) I noticed that tracks occasionally get skipped. I will look back in a playlist and see tracks that I don't remember hearing, and some of them are not even marked as downloaded to local cache (so they could not have been played). Why are tracks skipped? If a track gets skipped, is it still used as the "root" to add the next 2 tracks in the list?

Thanks guys.
Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 2:02:20 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 140 post(s)
First about icons:
(+) means that track added at least 2 new tracks at the end of that song playback.
(*) means that this track was added (new track). (*) will disappear once that track is played.
No icons - track was not yet played or HomeDJ did not find similar songs for that track to add.

Now about how track are added in the mix.

Once song is close to the end of playback, at least 2 new songs will be added to the list.
In memory these songs will be added 2 positions below of currently playing song.
In database these songs will be added to the end of the list.

So while queue is playing it is expanding, but it is expanding from the 3rd song from the current position.

For example we have the following songs in the list:
A,B,C,D,E,F,G.

Let's say song B finished playback and added 2 more songs X and Y.
Now currently playing list will look like this in memory:
A,B,C,D,X,Y,E,F,G

But if it is saved as a playlist in internal database it looks like this:
A,B,C,D,E,F,G,X,Y.

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 2:50:32 PM(UTC)
ballfam

O.K...thanks, this explains a lot, I noticed that I see an asterisk on a played track if I skipped past it sometime early in the track (because I didn't want to listen to it), and this explains why.

One other thing this brings up is manually added tracks. I noticed that I can manually add a new track to a currently playing mix, but it gets added to the end (which in my case is 12 songs in the future), and it never seems to get played....according to your explanation, this makes sense, because if my list is ABCDEFG and I'm playing B and add Q, I start with ABCDEFGQ, but after B finishes, it becomes ABCDXYEFGQ...and so Q gets continually pushed down the list......so how do I ever get to play my manually added song? And more importantly, how to I make it influence the direction the mix takes?

I have noticed that my added song does eventually get played (or skipped past in the last 2 cases I tried it), so I suppose it moves forward somehow.

Muzecast Support Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 2:59:14 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

I see you point.

In the next release I will make the following changes to this:
1. Rename item "Add to Queue" to "Add to Mix" in case if Queue is a mix;
2. Add to Mix will add song not to the end of the queue, but right after the currently playing song.

What do you mean by "how to make it influence the direction mix takes"?

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 27, 2014 7:04:38 PM(UTC)
ballfam

What I meant by "influence the direction of the mix" is that, when the song I add eventually gets played, it becomes the "root" for the next two "similar" songs that are added. This way, if I'm playing a heavier mix, and I want it to to become a little more mellow, I would be able to add a mellow song to the end of the list, and when it is played, the mix algorithm will find two more mellow songs to add to the list, and so I migrate the mix from heavy to mellow according to my mood; but if the song never gets played, it never determines the next two songs....that is, if I what I think is happening is happening.
ballfam Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 12:16:23 PM(UTC)
ballfam

I just got the latest update this morning and noticed that the "add to mix" functionality was there. Just to report back, this feature works really well for me, it adds my manually chosen song in the next-but-one position from the currently playing song, and when it gets played, it determines the next two songs added to the mix.

This is an incredibly useful feature; I have noticed that after a long time (over 100 songs), the mixes start to either drift away from the original root song, or they start to sound really "samey"; adding a new song manually really mixes things up if the playlist has become "samey", and it helps to push it back in the right direction if it drifts. It also allows me to change up the mix a bit, since it kind of inserts the new sound (with my manually added song) into the middle of the old one, and now the mix swings back-and-forth between the two sounds every 2 songs.

With this new feature, I don't think I will ever re-start a mix, I'll just add songs manually to change it up a bit.

Great work guys, a nice feature in a really short time.
 1 user thanked ballfam for this useful post.
Muzecast Support on 10/15/2014(UTC)
Muzecast Support Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 15, 2014 4:53:50 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Thank you.

Have you noticed there is also Auto mode for a style, which adjusts based on a number of songs in the library. It is more useful if there are more than 20000 songs.

Also you can make your mix more strict if you thumb Up one or more songs you think is appropriate for this mix and Mix will use all thumb up songs as a seed to pick next 2 songs. Up to 20 thumb up can be used for a seed, but you can thumb up more songs.

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:23:49 AM(UTC)
ballfam

I didn't notice auto mode, but after you mentioned I checked. I have almost exactly 20,000 songs in my library, so I'll enable it and see what happens. What exactly does it do; does it implement a sliding value for style based on number of songs (e.g. less songs mean looser style, more songs mean stricter style)?

I have started using thumb down with good effect, because I think I understand how it affects the mix, but I haven't used thumb up because I didn't really understand how it affected the mix:

- Are you saying that if I thumb up a song, this song will always be used to choose the next two to add to the mix, rather than the last song played?

- In this case, if I thumb up multiple songs, does it pick one of them at random to use as the "root" for the next two songs added?

- Does this also mean that if I thumb up any songs in the mix, then my manually added songs will never be used to determine any new songs added to the mix?

If these are all true, then maybe manually added songs should get an auto thumb up if (and only if) there are already thumb up songs in the mix?

Thanks

Edited by user Thursday, October 16, 2014 6:26:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Muzecast Support Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 8:23:21 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

I will add feature for added songs to a mix become seeding songs for adding next 2 songs.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.