MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

risk87105 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 1:16:19 AM(UTC)
risk87105

Groups: Registered

Hello,
My name is Joe and I have a concern about the song downloads that come from streaming music. I have so many questions about this I don't even know where to begin. Let me first start off by saying that I do understand the benefits of doing this. It's nice to have a backup in case there is no internet connection; I'm just curious to how it works? Does it work like a proxy server where it caches all the songs I stream? How will it affect the memory on my phone? Do the downloads come off automatically or will i have to manually delete them if I want to free up space? What if I run out of memory; will I still be able to stream? If all the downloads consumes all my memory and i want to download say another app from Google Play, will this app free up space for me or will i have to manually delete downloads of songs? Will I be getting warnings or pop up errors on my phone about the memory being too full? I have more questions but i guess I'll stop there for now. Let me say that it will be a huge bummer if i have to manually delete all the downloaded or cached songs and will more than likely prompt me to uninstall this app. Again, I understand the benefits; but the memory issue would be a huge con compared to the pro of this feature. Would there ever be an option to disable this feature in the future?
Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 3:26:18 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Le me answer your questions one by one.
  1. Does it work like a proxy server where it caches all the songs I stream?
    Not quite like that. Your songs are stored on your device SD Card, and can be played either by HomeDJ Player or any locally installed Music Player. Files are stored on SD Card under the folder: Music/HomeDJ
  2. How will it affect the memory on my phone?
    HomeDJ is pre-configured to take only 60% of available space on sd card. For example if you have 1 GB available on your 2 GB sd card, HomeDJ will only keep 600 MB of space for downloaded songs. IF it needs more space, HomeDJ will automatically delete files from the folder Music/HomeDJ to free up some space to get below of the 60% threshold.
  3. Do the downloads come off automatically or will i have to manually delete them if I want to free up space?
    HomeDJ will automatically delete files it downloaded if it needs space to download next song. There is an option in HomeDJ Player Settings to Clear cache. It will delete all downloaded songs. This option is useful if you need free up some space immediately.

4. What if I run out of memory; will I still be able to stream?
    On HomeDJ Start-up it checks if there is enough SD card space to perform stream and playback. If it does not have enough, it will delete downloaded songs to go below 60% threshold I mentioned above to have ability to stream. Do you should not run out of memory. There is a minimum requirement for free space on SD card for HomeDJ to work. It is 16 MB. I am working to have even that restriction removed to have an option for STREAM ONLY, where HomeDJ will not download anything and will stream directly from your Home Computer.
  5. If all the downloads consumes all my memory and i want to download say another app from Google Play, will this app free up space for me or will i have to manually delete downloads of songs?
    First of all, HomeDJ does not consume all space on your SD Card, and defiantly does not use Application Memory space for music download. As I mentioned above, HomeDJ tries to keep at least 40% of SD card free. You application ussually installed in Application memory of the phone and not SD card, unless you have an option to install applications on SD Card. If you need to free up some space, HomeDJ has an option to delete all songs, which were downloaded by HomeDJ Player. It will not delete any other songs you had in Music folder of your SD Card.
  6. Will I be getting warnings or pop up errors on my phone about the memory being too full?
    If you have less than 16 MB free space left, HomeDJ will give you a warning. This working will only be shown when you start HomeDJ Player.
  7. Would there ever be an option to disable this feature in the future?
    Yes. There is a plan to have option STREAM ONLY, which will not use a single bit of your SD Card and will stream directly to your phone without caching it.
  8. that it will be a huge bummer if i have to manually delete all the downloaded or cached songs and will more than likely prompt me to uninstall this app.
    HomeDJ will always maintain the rule of 40% of free space. As I mentioned, there will be an option to pick how much space you want to occupy on your SD Card, and if 0 is selected, HomeDJ will turn to STREAM ONLY mode. This option will be available within 4 weeks.

Thank you.

HomeDJ Support.

Edited by user Saturday, April 6, 2013 3:50:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
risk87105 Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:07:38 AM(UTC)
risk87105

Groups: Registered

Okay and again Thank you for the fast reply