MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

Richard Branches Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2019 5:38:34 AM(UTC)
Richard Branches

Groups: Registered

Hello, I discovered today the Muzecast server and I love it so far, however there is a very important feature I hope you implement:

I wonder why there isn't an upload limitation setting in the server, a per-stream bitrate limit for all out of network devices. This is useful to prevent devices from requesting a higher bitrate than our internet connections can handle. It is useful for slow upload internet connections like mine. I'm gonna try to explain my case:

a) When I use mobile data, I always select the lowest audio quality setting to save data, in the app I select "FM radio quality".

b) For home WiFi streaming I set "Original", because I want to play my music in its original audio quality, without worrying about any data limitation.

However, the problem lies when I'm connected to an external WiFi connection anywhere in the world, if I set "Original" quality and try to play a Hi-Res audio file, the song won't play smoothly, it will stutter because my actual upload speed (1 Mpbs) is not capable of handling the size of the file.

I know people may say: Why don't you select the other audio quality settings?, and my answer would be: "I want to play my music in its original audio quality WHEN POSSIBLE, without going BACK AND FORTH switching audio qualities. I want a "SET AND FORGET" option".

So, if the server had the upload speed limitation setting, when I try to play that Hi-Res audio song using an external WiFi connection with the quality set to "Original", the server should transcode the song automatically to a bitrate suitable for the upload speed limitation I set (in my case the recommended upload limitation would be 0,5 Mbps), and once I get back home, the app should start playing the music in its original quality again.

This is beneficial for mobile connections as well, just in case we select "original" or any other audio quality higher than our internet connections can handle.

Edited by user Wednesday, October 9, 2019 4:53:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Try to clarify as much as possible.

Sponsor