MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Muzecast Support Offline
#21 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 5:32:58 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Library browsing is performed against databased located on Central Muzecast Server.
Metadata is sent from your computer to Central Server. It looks like metadata was sent without any errors.
But sending a file to be streamed to your device is failing with error like: Connection was interrupted.

Ports to send metadata and music file are the same: 80, 65000 and 65001.
Method of sending metadata and music file are also the same.

I am still investigating what is going on, but so far, only your connection has this issue.

I have not tried the case when computer was updated to Windows 10. Test machine with Windows 10 is a fresh install of muzecast, including .NET framework 3.5.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
Sponsor
ballfam Offline
#22 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:10:15 PM(UTC)
ballfam

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
So it's definitely Windows 10. I created a new VM and installed Windows 7 Professional, then installed Muzecast, and everything streams fine on 4g on the Windows 7 install. Same phone client, same MP3 folders shared to the VM, same version of Muzecast server, even same physical machine, just running Muzecast under a Windows 7 VM. The VM is even running bridged network to the same network card on the physical machine. Only difference is Windows 7 versus Windows 10.

Under windows 7, the uploadtype stays as wcf in homedj.ini and doesn't get changed to tcp. Under windows 10, even after uninstalling and doing a complete fresh install of Muzecast, the uploadtype gets changed to tcp by the server. Windows 10 is causing wcf to fail and the server switches to tcp.

So I have Windows firewall turned off on Windows 10, and yet remote connections cannot stream files. Any ideas?

Thanks
Muzecast Support Offline
#23 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2016 5:26:52 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

On Windows 10 if you open Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs->Turn Windows features on or off, the least of features shows the following checked:

.NET Framework 3.5
.NET Framework 4.6
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
Muzecast Support Offline
#24 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2016 7:19:36 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

It looks like your installation of Windows 10 is disconnecting as soon as upload more than 64KB is detected. So far I could not find what is causing this issue. Other Windows 10 installation I tested did not have this issue.

I will try to implement 3rd way to upload file for streaming is to send smaller packages of data in chunks.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#25 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2016 7:48:00 AM(UTC)
ballfam

O.K...thanks for looking into this. If you need me to do anything my end, let me know. Currently the Muzecast server is running under Windows 7 VM, so ignore any recent successful transfers. I'll switch back to Windows 10 as soon as you have something that you need me to try.

Two things to note when testing with Windows 10:

1) I'm running "Professional" not "Home Edition". Microsoft have been known to change or tweak certain network settings under professional edition in the past because it is intended to be used on an office network rather than at home. If you are testing make sure you really run Professional and not Home, it may make a difference. It probably doesn't make any difference, but I also have remote access enabled because this is a headless server which I usually connect to through RDP (something that only the Professional edition supports).

2) Steaming works fine on local network. When you are testing, make sure you are on a network that is remote to the server

I also checked programs and features. I have both .NET framework 3.5 and .NET framework 4.6 advanced services enabled.
ballfam Offline
#26 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2016 8:09:45 AM(UTC)
ballfam

You probably know way more about this than I do, but it might be related to the TCP Window size. When I'm on my remote 4g network, my speed probably drops way below 1 Meg, and the window size probably scales down below 64k, so any attempt to send blocks larger that 64k without a reply would fail. If you are testing with higher speeds you may not see the problem.

Looks like there may be a value I can set in the registry to increase the window size (GlobalMaxTCPWindowSize ? ).

I'm back running the Windows 10 server; let me know if you want me to try anything.

Muzecast Support Offline
#27 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 8:49:24 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

It looks like streaming is working now for your server running under Windows 10. Could you validate that you can stream over 4G.

Have you changed anything on your end?
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#28 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 9:53:07 AM(UTC)
ballfam

Wow, you're right...suddenly it seems to be working fine. I'm certain I tried this yesterday and it failed, and I just left the Muzecast server running on Windows 10.

I am in a location with much better 4g reception right now, which means faster streaming, also I noticed that my son streamed some files this morning from his Galaxy S6.

I'll double check streaming when I'm in the same location as I was yesterday to be sure it is not related to streaming speed, and I'll also go back over everything I did yesterday in case anything is relevant.
ballfam Offline
#29 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 11:43:05 AM(UTC)
ballfam

I checked back in the same location where it was not working yesterday (bad reception area), and today it is working fine, so the problem is definitely resolved, and I know exactly what I did to fix it, but you're not going to like the answer.

In a last-ditch attempt to avoid having to run a Windows 7 VM just for Muzecast, I shut down the service, then I edited the properties of Vorlan.HomeDJ.Server.exe and set "run in compatibility mode" to "Windows 7", then I re-started the service.

I tried to stream after that yesterday, but I guess I didn't wait long enough on a slow network for it to stream enough of the file to start playing, so I though it hadn't fixed the problem. Anyway, at that point I just gave up and left it running. I guess at some point this morning, my son tried to stream some tracks, and that's when you noticed it working.

When I get the chance, I will confirm that this is what resolved the problem by shutting down again and un-setting compatibility mode, and re-starting to see if it breaks.

This really doesn't help you much since you don't want to have to deliver something that needs to run in Windows 7 compatibility mode, but it does serve to eliminate other system factors such as TCP stack. My guess is that running in compatibility mode causes the program to utilize some of the .NET shared libraries differently, maybe it even fails back to 3.5.

Since no one else has seen this problem yet, I'm O.K. to run with the "compatibility mode" work-around, but if you need me to try anything' let me know.

Thanks for your support on this. I've seen it said a few times, but you really do have amazing support for your product, and the product itself is top-notch. Keep up the good work.

Edited by user Monday, January 4, 2016 12:48:48 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Muzecast Support Offline
#30 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 1:31:38 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Could you check if you still in compatibility mode? If yes, could you run it normally and see if it is working.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#31 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 5:58:32 PM(UTC)
ballfam

compatibility mode was still on. I turned it off and re-started the service, and now, magically, everything is streaming over 4g fine.

I can't explain this, unless you tweaked something on your server, or re-coded to allow transfers with blocksize below 64k. Did you change anything on your end?

Anyway, whatever it was, it is all working fine now.

Again...thanks for the help...great product and superb support.

Thanks Guys.
Muzecast Support Offline
#32 Posted : Monday, January 4, 2016 6:13:15 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

Have you checked if Windows installed some updates overnight?

The only change I made on my end was to reduce buffer size to 4K, but I made this change while you were still on Windows 10 and tested request to stream a song was still failing.
Also I pushed updated Vorlan.HomeDJ.Server just for your account, but that updated included only change to use chunked streaming. But streaming from your server still using WCF, which is good. Chunked streaming is just a backup route to stream if WCF and TCP failing. Your server did not fall over that method of streaming.

Anyway I am glad that it is working for you now. Hope that issue is resolved for good.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#33 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2016 8:19:57 PM(UTC)
ballfam

no Windows updates since Dec 30th, but I did make one other change on Sunday. I drilled in to .NET 4.6 and I noticed one sub-component was not enabled: WCF Service -> HTTP Activation, so I enabled it. I definitely tested after I made that change and it didn't seem to fix the problem, but maybe it required a server re-start or something.

If this was it, I guess it defaults to disabled on Windows 10 professional, and this will cause Muzecast to fail. Otherwise it must have been some change you made on your servers.

Edited by user Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:44:35 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Muzecast Support Offline
#34 Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2016 7:47:26 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

United States

WCF Activation only applies if you are running IIS and want to host WCF Services. I think changes to TCP windows and buffer size on my end helped. I really appreciate all the help you gave me resolving this issue.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.