MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

Fenhalls Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 2:09:48 AM(UTC)
Fenhalls

Groups: Registered

1) I have the app on a Fire HDX set up to transcode ALAC (.m4a) when caching files to FLAC (Streaming Options->Highest Quality). During transcoding, some files on a number of albums were transcoded to MP3 and others to FLAC. Is there any particular reason for this? I have another HDX device. Do you want me to see if I can reproduce it on that?

2) Album art is often taking an incredibly long time to load. On many occasions even when an album has been downloaded (not during caching) the art does not download on the first attempt. One has to start playing the album whilst the program is online before it does.

3) Another similar program (one I discarded in favour of yours) updates the library in a few seconds when an album is added. Your program seems to go through a full scan each time. Is there any way to avoid this?
Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 3:54:14 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 139 post(s)
1. ALAC files have the same extension for both lossless and lossy files. Muzecast is using bitrate of the file to identify if it is ALAC. If bitrate is less than 320kb/s it treated is lossy file and converted to either OGG or MP3. That is going to be changed in upcoming releases. Some ALAC files have lower bitrate, particularly for Classical music.

2. If there is no Album Art in the folder where file is located or not in the tags, Muzecast is searching the Web for album art while trying to display an artwork. Most of the Artwork providers, such as Google, iTunes, and Last.fm are throttling number of calls for Artwork search to prevent high volume of requests. That is causing slowness in artwork search when a lot of Muzecast requests hit these services. Once artwork is found, it is cached for future used in Muzecast database.

3. Faster detection of new songs will be implemented in upcoming releases. Currently when Folder Scan starts it is trying to detect both New and Updated files on a first scan. In new release, I will separate detection of new as a separate fast scan.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
Fenhalls Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 1, 2017 6:54:51 AM(UTC)
Fenhalls

1) That makes perfect sense.

2) In the Artwork Lookup options in the desktop program, I have ticked none of the boxes. If my own artwork is not attached to the file, I don't want it. Actually, I neglected to tick one of the boxes when originally importing the files but have taken them all out since. And this artwork that has been gleaned from wherever stays put no matter what. I tagged one CD with my own artwork and yet the artwork found on the internet remained as the main cover in albums but not on individual tracks. I hate things being imposed on me whether that is ReplayGain or artwork. I expect when people torrent their music they tend not to give a damn. When you have shelled out thousands (quite literally) for a library you want a large measure of control of how it is displayed and of course the music files themselves.

But this difficulty of artwork happens even when an album is downloaded. When you come back to the downloaded album invariably the artwork is not there at least not for many minutes. It all so very ugly. That competitor of yours I mentioned, the artwork appears just like that with absolutely no delays or problems.

3) In 2 above I mention tagging an album with artwork. Your program went through a complete scan just for that.
Fenhalls Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 2:27:22 AM(UTC)
Fenhalls

To try and make sense of this album art business, I carried out a fresh install of Muzecast on my desktop and the 2 Fire HDXs that I have been using. I deleted all Musecast files on the desktop and the apps and also cleared the caches and downloads on the tablets.

1) Despite the fact that on the Muzecast Configurator I unticked all the boxes relating to the finding of album art, album art from places other than my files was sourced from the internet and applied to a number of albums.

This problem needs addressing. The thing is, as I mention above, even if I add my own album art later the unauthorised album art applied by Muzecast will still show in album view.

2) I find it rather odd that in album view the album art only appears to show, at least for the first time, when you scroll down to the albums in question and wait a few seconds. Given that I have 979 albums that's a lot of scrolling!

3) I downloaded 11 albums. In album view, the album art shows on 9 of them. However, far more importantly, the album art only displays on the now playing screen on 2 albums when the album is being played.

This is another issue that really does need addressing.

4) When playing music files normally the album art is taking a very long time to load. As an example, I started playing an album. I waited until all songs were cached (I checked by looking at the playlist that can be accessed). I then went offline. There are 12 tracks on the album. All music was correctly cached and played correctly. However, album art only displayed on the first 8 tracks. Incidentally, you can see this by looking at the album art on the playlist I mention above. Actually, I only obtained that much album art by cycling through the first few tracks. Had I just stayed on the first track then I'd have been lucky to get 2 or 3 tracks with the album art. This is something I noted the other day, that to get the album art to kick in for the entire album one often has to fast forward through the tracks usually until you're around halfway through the album.

It might seem that I really dislike Muzecast. That is not so. It has many admirable qualities. I'm simply pointing out the flaws that I see and find irritating.

Update:

Another issue. I deleted all downloaded tracks in the appropriate place ("Remove downloaded songs"). As a result all album art has now disappeared from Album view. Surely that's something that should not occur.

And yes, it is slowly refreshing.

Update 2:

1) I have noted that whenever the library is updated (every single time anything is altered in the library) the album covers are lost in album view until the library refreshes which takes seemingly forever. In other words the album view in terms of artwork is more or less redundant. One can't even resort to a list view because there isn't one.

2) I have also noticed that the options you provide in the Muzecast Configurator have no meaning and even if one takes the tick out of the box "Search Web for Missing Artwork" the program still searches for art. Even when I have attached the artwork in the tags the program has often still searched the web for artwork in some cases finding a number of alternatives (I didn't discover one that I would have used). Why is this happening? In any event, I'm not surprised that your program is so very slow in loading artwork.

Edited by user Sunday, July 2, 2017 11:37:21 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Muzecast Support Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 4:13:11 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 150 time(s) in 139 post(s)
I will address all your points in upcoming releases. Thank you for your input!
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
Fenhalls Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 2, 2017 11:30:23 PM(UTC)
Fenhalls

You should have been a diplomat. ;)

Yesterday a number of tracks were being cut off before the end. That seems to have been resolved today. Also I noticed that album art when albums are playing initially seems to be loading much more quickly. If you are responsible for the resolution of either or both of those issues (I noticed that the app was automatically updated earlier) then I thank you very much. I did check the downloads as well. Unfortunately album art is still not being downloaded in that instance.

I do have one small question if you don't mind:

Is there any way at the moment to get the program *not* to search the web for album art and then to apply it?

Fenhalls Offline
#7 Posted : Monday, July 3, 2017 2:04:27 AM(UTC)
Fenhalls

I wanted to see if the art applied by your program could be altered. This is what I did:

1) I took an album with the incorrect artwork found by Muzecast on the web and using "Tag&Rename" I tagged the album with entirely different artwork. I then ran a library scan. The artwork I had introduced was not there. I then took the folder out of the library and then ran another library scan and made sure that it wasn't showing in my tablet libraries. I then replaced it in the Muzecast library and ran another scan. I found that that album was there but not with my artwork. I concluded that the artwork, at least within this context could not be changed.

2) Wanting to see if this applied to all albums in the library (i.e. including the albums with my own artwork), I took an album tagged by me with the correct art and changed the art as above. I then ran a scan. The artwork had changed. Wanting to change it back I first tried without removing the album from the library and nothing happened. When I took it out and then reintroduced it into the library I found on both devices that the new artwork could be seen on about half the tracks and the old artwork on the other half. I suspect that the old artwork (i.e. the reintroduced artwork) was on the tracks which Muzecast had never applied in the first place.

My conclusion is that for most practical purposes the artwork that you have from whatever source it emanates is the artwork that you will always have and it cannot be changed. It would be nice at some point if this could be remedied.

Update:

I have discovered that a workaround for this is to clear artwork cache.

Edited by user Monday, July 3, 2017 6:47:50 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified