MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

ballfam Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 29, 2015 7:52:25 PM(UTC)
ballfam

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I just upgraded my server and upgraded Muzecast to the latest version at the same time; the server also went from Windows 7 professional 32-bit to Windows 7 professional 64-bit. After the upgrade I have been getting issues with Muzecast. When I boot, Muzecast will be working like a dream, and then once in a while (usually around every 2 days), the Muzecast server will be unreachable.

Starting the Muzecast app on Android will say that the server connection failed (after 3 attempts), and it believes the server is offline. When I go check the server, the indicator is green, and everything seems to be fine. The server is actually online, and has full access to the internet, and the android client also has internet access.

I have tried to re-start the Muzecast service, but it doesn't help, and the strange thing is that if I completely stop the service (and check that the process went away), the configurator still stays green, and it doesn't register that the service has been stopped.

The only way I have found to solve the problem is to reboot the server machine, as soon as I reboot, and the machine comes back up, everything is fine, and it works O.K. again for another few days.

My server services several things apart from music streaming through Muzecast, including video streaming, as a fileserver for backups, as a personal cloud server, and as a cloud print server. It is also a headless server box. It is rarely idle, and rebooting it means gaining remote access to the console and shutting down several services; it is a major pain to have to do this.

I can almost live with the Muzecast bug which causes this (although it would be nice to fix it) if only I could somehow re-set Muzecast without having to reboot the whole machine.

I have tried shutting down the service and killing all the processes that look like they are related to Muzecast, but it doesn't help. So I guess, two questions here:

1) How do I manage to do a complete Muzecast re-start/re-set without rebooting the machine?

2) What traces and log files do you need to diagnose and fix the issue?

Thanks Guys.
Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 8:33:06 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Sent you email with attached file with a fix. Once confirmed that fix worked, it will be released in the next release of Muzecast Streaming Server.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 30, 2015 7:53:51 PM(UTC)
ballfam

Thanks guys. I think you called this correctly. What I found after further investigation is that the process Vorlan.HomeDJ.Server.exe was hanging, and it would not go away, even after I stopped the service and specifically tried to kill it from Windows task manager. The only way to kill the hung process was a reboot.

I have applied your test fix, and I'll let you know how it goes in a day or two.

Thanks a lot for the quick fix.
ballfam Offline
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2015 7:47:29 PM(UTC)
ballfam

It has been over a week now and Muzecast has not gone offline.

My server was running an old version of Windows 7, and at the same time as applying the fix, I updated to SP1 and applied several .NET fixes from Microsoft.

Given all the changes, I'm not sure if it was the Muzecast fix that resolved the issue or the the .NET fixes, but the Muzecast fix has definitely done no harm. I think it should be safe to include in the next update.

Thanks again for the quick response on this.