MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

qafrank Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2013 5:51:39 AM(UTC)
qafrank

Groups: Registered
United States

I am unable to tell based on the description and the comments here, so I am hoping for straight answers:
  1. Does HomeDJ allow streaming of music from my PC over an internet connection or does it download files from my PC to my device before playing? If it truly streams, great. Is the number of tracks downloaded to my device constant? Am I able to set a storage amount or limit the number of tracks on my android device?
  2. Is there a browser player? If I am at work or on my laptop away from home, is it possible to stream my music to a browser?
  3. If I download and install the server, what occurs during the "scan" process? Is an index of my songs being created or something else? If I add music, do I need to rescan the entire library or is it possible to just scan the artist folder?

I have over 50k tracks (and growing), and rescanning my entire library every time I add new music (or once a week) seems wasteful.

Thank you.
Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2013 5:03:22 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 149 time(s) in 139 post(s)
Answers to all your questions:
1. HomeDJ has 2 modes:
Streaming - When Cache is disabled (Settings->Cache) HomeDJ will not store song on the device. It will stream directly from your Home Computer.
Cached Streaming - When Cache is enabled, HomeDJ will start downloading song from Home Computer and saving this song on SD Card of the device. Playback of this song starts as soon as there at least 10 seconds of the song is cached. It does not wait for the whole song to be downloaded before it starts playback. Usually playback start up time is around 1-5 seconds.

Because Streaming mode does not store data on the device, song will be streamed over the Internet every time it plays utilizing Mobile Data plan data, or WiFi. Please note that this mode might cause high data usage.
Cached Streaming will store the song locally on the device and next time you want to play it, it will not be downloaded. This mode helps to minimize data usage as well as preventing player not to stop if you are driving through the bad coverage zones. Cached Streaming has an option to cache ahead up to 15 songs. By default limit on how many songs can be cached is 60% of available storage. If HomeDJ needs more SD Card space to download another song, it will delete oldest songs it downloaded in the past.

2. There is no browser playback support it, but I am working on it. It will be available in a couple of month.

3. Folder scanning - During the scan, HomeDJ is analyzing songs and builds database of fingerprints of each song. Fingerprint is used for song recognition and for MIX creation. MIX is a dynamic playlist, which grows while playing. Based on fingerprint, HomeDJ finds similar song to the one which started that mix to be added to that MIX.
Once scanning is complete, it will not re-scan those songs again. If you want to add more songs to your library, you have to start Folder Scan again. But this time it will only scan just added songs and not the whole library.
If you changed metadata of the song (Title, Artist, Album, Genre, File Name or File location) you have to start folder scan again and HomeDJ will re-scan only changed songs.
Re-scan of just added or changed songs will be much quicker.

There are 3 scan modes:
1. Fast - will only read songs Tags and will try to find fingerprint from central library of fingerprints. If not found, it will mark this song as not Mixable, but you will be able to play it.
2. Normal - will try to recognize songs by song Tag, and songs which were not recognized will be analyzed and fingerprint created for these songs.
3. Full - will try to recognize songs by Tags, but will analyze each song anyway to create cleaner fingerprint. This more is the longest, but because central library of fingerprints now has about 4 Million fingerprints, it is much quicker than it was year or two ago.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ro5nwndsm
#3 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 5:30:00 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified
ro5nwndsm
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:13:28 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Message was deleted by a Moderator. | Reason: Not specified