MUZECAST FORUM

Notification

Icon
Error

ballfam Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:34:57 AM(UTC)
ballfam

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have a couple of questions on how analysis works. I started a full scan about a week ago and it is now at 59%, which means it will finish in about another week. I'm willing to live with the slow scan speed as a one-off because I want to use the songs for mixes, but I would prefer it not to take several weeks to scan every time I add songs. A could of quick questions:

- While it was scanning, I added about 50 more tracks, will these extra songs be picked up in the current scan, or do I need to wait for it to finish and start the scan again?

- Going forward, I will likely add songs, does the scan scan everything again (taking another 2 weeks), or can it work out what changed since the last scan, and only scan the new stuff?

- What happens if I already did a full scan, and now I add stuff and just want to quickly get it in my playlist, so I now do a "normal" or "fast" scan? Will it remember that a already did a higher level scan on existing tracks and not re-scan any of them, but just do a fast scan on the new stuff? If I later run a full scan, can it tell that some tracks were scanned on a fast scan and only include that new stuff into a full scan?

Thanks
Sponsor
Muzecast Support Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 4:38:06 PM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Below answers to all your questions:

- While it was scanning, I added about 50 more tracks, will these extra songs be picked up in the current scan, or do I need to wait for it to finish and start the scan again?
You have to stop the scan and start it again. It will pick up new songs first and you should be able to play new songs in between 1 to 5 minutes after scan is restarted

- Going forward, I will likely add songs, does the scan scan everything again (taking another 2 weeks), or can it work out what changed since the last scan, and only scan the new stuff?
Scan remembers songs which were scanned before and after you added new songs, only new songs will be analyzed, which will not take that much time anymore. For example if you added 50 songs after you have full scan complete, new scan will take about 30 minutes.

- What happens if I already did a full scan, and now I add stuff and just want to quickly get it in my playlist, so I now do a "normal" or "fast" scan? Will it remember that a already did a higher level scan on existing tracks and not re-scan any of them, but just do a fast scan on the new stuff? If I later run a full scan, can it tell that some tracks were scanned on a fast scan and only include that new stuff into a full scan?
Scan mode does not make any difference how fast songs will be added to HomeDJ. First step in folder scan is to find new songs and update databases so you can access new songs as soon as possible. After that new songs analysis starts to make them mixable. But while analysis is running you already can play new songs with only difference that new songs might not be mixable (used for dynamic playlists called MIX) until these new songs are analyzed.

Another note:
I am working on a new release, which will have much faster recognition of newly added songs and overall performance of folder scan will be improved.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
ballfam Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 5:39:04 AM(UTC)
ballfam

Thanks for the reply; my scan is now 75% done. What happens if I stop it before it is done and re-start so that it can pick up the new songs; will it remember how much it scanned already when it is interrupted before finishing, and just re-scan the stuff it didn't do already (plus the new songs), or will it start again from the beginning?
Muzecast Support Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 6:53:42 AM(UTC)
Muzecast Support

Groups: Registered, Administrators
United States

Was thanked: 152 time(s) in 140 post(s)
Yes. HomeDJ will not re-scan (re-analyze) files which were already analyzed.

Progress % is relative to what is left to process.

For example you have 100 songs and all 100 songs needs to be analyzed.
When, let's say 20 songs are analyzed, Progress is equal to 20%.

Then you stop the scan and started it again. Now there are 80 songs left to analyze,
HomeDJ will not analyze 20 songs it already analyzed,
and when HomeDJ analyzed 20 songs out of these 80, progress will be 25%.
Thank you.

Muzecast Support.
 1 user thanked Muzecast Support for this useful post.
ballfam on 9/14/2014(UTC)
ballfam Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 7:32:05 AM(UTC)
ballfam

Excellent...thanks for confirming, looks like I'm safe to stop and re-start.

Thanks for the support.